stagescape noun \stājskāp\: defn. the mind & heart's-eye view created by all the theater experiences you add to your life; altn. the compound term created from "stage" and "escape," and meaning to have an adventure at the theater that takes you both outside and inside yourself!
Theater Photo for today:
Follow me on Instagram too!
Theater quote for today:
“I'The theater is so endlessly fascinating because it's so accidental. It's so much like life."
Arthur Miller Quotes
Today in Theater History:
- "Here Lies Love," the unique, immersive musical about Imelda Marcos, has been extended at The Public Theater through Jun 30 '13. The show is directed by Alex Timbers of "Peter and the Starcatcher" fame, and features music by David Byrne and Fat Boy Slim. Last night it won several Drama Desk Awards!
- The Drama Desk Awards honoring the full range of theater in NYC (Broadway, Off Broadway, Off Off Broadway) presented their 2013 awards last night. BroadwayWorld.com has the list of winners/nominees here. Theatremania.com has an inside look at the winners in the press room after their wins here.
- Manhattan Theatre Club's production of "The Assembled Parties" has been extended a second time to Jul 7 '13. I saw the show in April '13. Look below for a video introduction to the show.
- Michael Urie and Annaleigh Ashford are the 2013 recipients of the Actors' Equity Clarence Derwent Awards for most promising performances in New York theater. Playbill.com has the story here.
- Tickets are now on sale at Telecharge for the Broadway run of "The Glass Menagerie" at the Booth Theatre. First preview is scheduled for Sep 5 '13, and the entire original cast will reprise their roles (Cherry Jones, Celia Keenan-Bolger, Zachary Quinto and Brian J. Smith).
- *The Outer Critics Circle has announced the winners of the 2013 awards for New York theater. Pippin received 7, the most for any one show; while Kinky Boots was next with 3. The awards will be presented on May 23 '13 at Sardi's Restaurant.
- NBC has officially canceled the theater-centric series "Smash" after its second season. I will miss seeing and hearing the amazingly talented performers the show featured on a weekly basis.
- The Shakespeare Theatre in Washington DC will include a production of "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum" in the 2013-14 season.
- Cherry Jones will star in a new production of "When We Were Young and Unafraid" from The Manhattan Theatre Club in 2014, after the Broadway run of "The Glass Menagerie." Read more at Playbill.com here.
- There will be a staged reading of "Can-Can" in Manhattan in July, in advance of a planned Broadway production in Spring '14. The reading will feature Megan Hilty and Aaron Lazar.
- The original cast recording of "Rodgers & Hammerstein's Cinderella" is now available digitally on Ghostlight Records.
- The Astaire Awards nominees for 2013 have been named, and include Charlotte d'Amboise for Outstanding Female Dancer and Chet Walker for choreography, both from "Pippin." BroadwayWorld.com has the story.
- The 2013 Theatre World Award recipients were announced May 7. The awards will be presented on Jun 3.
- Producers have announced that "Orphans" will close May 19, a month earlier than planned.
- Ian McKellan, Patrick Stewart, Billy Crudup & Shuler Hensley among others, will perform "No Man's Land" and "Waiting for Godot" in a repertory production this fall. Playbill.com has the casting news here.
- May 6 was Opening Night for Lincoln Center Theatre's "Nikolai and the Others," starring Michael Cerveris as George Balanchine, and directed by David Cromer ("Tribes," "Really Really").
- The recipients of the Lucille Lortel Awards for 2013 were announced May 5. These awards celebrate the outstanding Off Broadway productions of the 2012-13 season.
- The Broadway.com Audience Choice Awards announced the winners May 5. There are some fun categories including "Favorite Onstage Pair," "Favorite Diva Performance," "Favorite Funny Performance"! Presenters included Bobby Cannavale, Laura Benanti and Ari Graynor.
- The NY Drama Critics' Circle have announced the winners of their 2013 awards for Best Play and Best Musical of the 2012/13 season: "Matilda" was awarded Best Musical, with the Off Broadway show "Here Lies Love" at the Public Theater as runner-up; and "Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike" was awarded Best Play, and "The Flick," an Off Broadway show at Playwrights Horizons came in second.
- Michael Urie's solo show, "Buyer and Cellar," currently playing at the Rattlestick Playwrights Theater, will close there on May 12 (extended from original closing date of May 4), and move to the larger Barrow Street Theater, opening again on June 18. The New York Times Arts blog has the story here; and look below for a video interview with Michael about the show. I saw the show last month and thoroughly enjoyed it; and Michael won a Drama Desk Award last night for Outstanding Solo Performance, beating out Bette Midler, among others.
- The A.R.T. (American Repertory Theater) in Boston (their "Pippin" is currently on Broadway, and "The Glass Menagerie" will arrive on Broadway in Sep '13), has announced their 2013/14 season.
- This Boston Globe article about Orion Griffiths, one of the marvelous circus performer cast members in the Broadway production of "Pippin," is a fascinating story of a unique journey to a Broadway stage! The show has just received 10 Tony Award nominations.
- The new Carole King musical, "Beautiful," will have a pre-Broadway run in San Francisco, with anticipated Broadway engagement in Spring '14. Read the story on Playbill.com.
- The final performance of "Nice Work If You Can Get It" on Broadway will be Jun 15 '12.
- The original cast recording of the Off Broadway musical "Dogfight" is now available on iTunes!
- Here is the official list of the 2013 Tony Award nominations! Read my thoughts on the nominations here.
- The Drama League has also announced the nominees for its 2013 awards in New York theater on Apr 23. The ceremony will be held in New York on Fri, May 17 and will be hosted by David Hyde Pierce.
- The one-woman show, "The Testament of Mary," starring Fiona Shaw opened on Broadway on Apr 22 '13.
- Broadway.com announced the nominees for the 2013 Audience Choice Awards in theater. Cast your vote!
- Interesting Los Angeles Times article about the last-minute (minor) line adjustments made by the playwright Richard Greenberg, to his "The Assembled Parties," which had its opening night on Broadway on Wed, Apr 17, in response to Monday's bombings at the Boston Marathon.
- The long-running musical "Mamma Mia" will transfer from its home of 12 years, The Winter Garden Theatre, down Broadway to The Broadhurst on W 44th St ("Lucky Guy" is currently playing at The Broadhurst) later this year.
- Michael Kahn of The Shakespeare Theatre Company (DC), will direct the Signature Theatre (VA) production of Paul Downs Colaizzo's new play "Pride in the Falls of Autrey Mill" in Fall '13. Read more at Playbill.com.
- Very excited to learn that the Kennedy Center will produce the world premiere of a new musical, "Little Dancer," from Lynn Ahrens, Stephen Flaherty and Susan Stroman, in Oct '14. Read the BroadwayWorld.com article for more.
- Nathan Lane's new show, "The Nance" opened at the Lyceum Theatre on April 15 '13. The book of the play was written by Douglas Carter Beane, whose "Cinderella" is also currently running on Broadway. See videos about each show below.
Theatre Video Picks:
"The Assembled Parties" starring Judith Light and Jessica Hecht has been extended through Jul 7 '13. Judith Light won a Drama Desk Award last night for her performance. Here's a peek at the show:
Listen to Michael Urie talk about his solo show "Buyer & Cellar," currently playing at The Rattlestick Playwrights Theater. He won the Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Solo Performance last night:
"Pippin" received 10 2013 Tony Award nominations, including Best Revival:
Here's a New York Times video featuring Bette Midler on her new solo show on Broadway, "I'll Eat You Last, A Chat With Sue Mengers":
I had the great pleasure of attending BCEFA's 27th Annual Easter Bonnet Competition on Apr 23 '13! Great fun for a great cause!
"The Nance" opened on Broadway on Apr 15 '13. Here's a New York Times video featuring Nathan Lane (now the recipient of a 2013 Tony Award nomination) discussing his role in the play:
The new production of "Rodgers & Hammerstein's Cinderella," in its first time on stage (it was originally written for television and starred Julie Andrews) features a book by Douglas Carter Beane, and stars Laura Osnes and Santino Fontana. The show received 9 2013 Tony Award nominations.
Take a look at the Manhattan Theatre Club production of "Murder Ballad," beginning a second run on May 7 at Union Square Theatre:
"Motown: The Musical" opened on Broadway on Apr 16 '13 and has received 4 ! Here's a chat with the actor playing Berry Gordy:
And say hello to "Kinky Boots" on Broadway with these get-up-and-dance highlights! "Kinky Boots" led the 2013 Tony Award nominations with 13 total.
Do not miss Holland Taylor (now Tony-nominated for 2013) in "Ann," a wonderful portrayal of Ann Richards, former Governor of Texas now playing at Lincoln Center in NYC and extended through Sep 1:
Alan Cumming brings his unique take on "Macbeth" to The Ethel Barrymore Theatre after a sold out run at Lincoln Center last summer:
Shows I've Seen/Will See